Friday, December 17, 2010

Poem

Friday Night Lights

14 to nothing,
Before the half
All the games, but one, have passed
Seasons ending early, due to injury
Compares nothing to the loss of a brotherhood; a family.
Friday night lights
So many dog-fights
In the end, we all sacrificed
To me football is a thing of the past
Just one more thing I wish would last

Stepping out on the field one last time,
Brings a tear to my eye
A half-hour past nine
Time to pack up, and head back home
Never again will I touch that end zone
The big hits are gone
No more players of the week
No more happy valleys
Or Thursdays to eat; before the game
No more fame

I’m proud to have played football for this team,
For that I’m not ashamed.

Donnie Brush

When I first read this poem, I immediately was able to relate to it. For the past 18 years of my life, high school football has always been a part of it. Growing up, I started my football days on the sidelines, acting as the ball boy for his high school team at Akron. When I was old enough to play, I remember my first practice at AJF football. I remember going home after practice and talking to my dad about how it went. I remember numerous Friday nights when I would finish my practice at little league and my mom would drive me out to Akron, making it just in time for kick off. I remember watching the games from the sidelines and watching how the players acted. These guys became my role models and from that time on, I dreamed of the day that I was the big high school football player, wearing his school colors. That day came before I knew it and now when I think about those days, it is nothing but memories. As I got older, I started to learn the bond that a football team develops. Football is like no other sport in the aspect of teamwork. To be successful, you need to be working hard throughout the entire summer. Every day at 8 am, high school football brings young adolescent men together in the weight room, when a majority of the other students are still in bed. Football is a demanding game and it teaches people a lot about life. You’re going to get knocked down in football and things aren’t always going to go your way, but if you get back up and try it again, that’s what is important. Football teaches young boys to become men and I could not become more thankful for this great game. With my high school days over, it is sad to think that it has gone by this quick. Walking out onto that field under the shining lights is something that I will never forget and will always cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment